A couple of recent movies
Just a quickie tonight - yeah, I know, you were expecting so much more when I put such effort into thinking of a title. I've hardly seen anything new at the cinema in recent weeks (see my previously published Fringe round-up for the reason) but since I managed to squeeze in a couple of films I thought I'd write a quick piece about each of them.
Strangely, both of them (despite being new releases) are in black and white. More accurately, they're both predominantly black and white but with a dash of colour here and there. That's pretty much where the similarities end though.
RENAISSANCE is a new animated movie set in the near future and basically looks like BLADE RUNNER in the style of SIN CITY, albeit with a lot more rotoscoping of actors. It's very stylishly done, but the content is pretty flat and unimpressive. It's got nothing new to offer and once you get past the great visuals you'll probably find yourself looking at your watch as often as you look at the screen.
THE NOTORIOUS BETTY PAGE is an improvement. It's no better than most biopic features (this one tells of the famous pin-up queen of the fifties) but that could be because we've had a lot of really good ones in recent years.
The story covers the outrage caused by some of Betty's more risky material and the typical fifties witchhunt (the infamous Kefauver hearings) that pretty much ended her career as a model. In an ironic twist, Estes Kefauver is played by David Strathairn, recently seen battling such evils in the magnificent GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. Watch for these films appearing as a double bill somewhere soon.
As ordinary as the film may be, it will stand out if only for the performance of Gretchen Mol in the title role. It's a fine dramatic turn that is sure to bring her plenty of attention and is probably an early candidate for next year's awards ceremonies. You heard it here first. Well, unless you read it in any number of other websites or film magazines that have said the same thing. And I guess you probably have, given how long it's taken me to get round to seeing it.
More Fringe shows coming soon and then it's time for... Edinburgh International Film Festival! Hurrah!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home