The Freakpit's Favourites of 2006
Well what do you know, the Golden Globes were last night, not Sunday night as I previously stated. That'll explain why I couldn't find the results yesterday morning then. Guess I could have made some predictions after all.
Anyway, glossing over that act of folly, it's time to begin my long-promised round-up of what warmed the Freakpit in 2006. These are the very best films as voted for by an audience of, well, one. Me. Tell your friends! Tell your family! This is the ONLY critical list of 2006 films that you will ever need!
(That's assuming your taste in films is anything like mine and, since it probably isn't, I guess this isn't the only list you'll need. But you should still read it anyway.)
Before I begin however, I should point out the rules by which these films were picked, just in case there's any argument about whether or not the film was truly a 2006 film.
1. Regardless of when it was released elsewhere, if it was not released in UK cinemas until 2006, it counts as a 2006 movie for my purposes.
2. If it hasn't had a release here yet but I still managed to catch it at a festival, then it also counts. That explains why there might be some movies that aren't out yet or else you've never heard of. But hey, at least it might encourage you to seek them out when they do appear.
Where possible, I've provided links to previous blog entries relating to the films in question so you can go back and see what I said originally if you should feel the need.
Right, on with the countdown...
30. HELL [L'ENFER]
This misery-laden French effort was one that I almost missed because I thought the trailer was really dull. Well, when forced to go and see it because there was nothing more interesting-looking on at the cinemas nearby, I ended up enjoying it immensely. Tight story, great performances by all the lead female characters and a delightfully grim but funny ending. You may remember it as the film that broke my Bristol cinema curse.
29. OFFSIDE
I guess you could say this one was timed to coincide with World Cup fever, but really that would be overstating it somewhat since the football match (the game that saw Iran qualify for the World Cup finals) takes place in the background and is hardly seen. The movie concerns the attempts by a bunch of young girls to get into the match (women are not allowed to attend football matches in Iran).
It's funny and touching, and is leant an extra poignancy by the way it is tied in to a tragic and controversial real-life incident that happened at an Iranian football match just a short time before.
28. RED ROAD
Andrea Arnold's feature debut has already scooped a bunch of awards, not least a prize at Cannes, and is the most critically acclaimed film to come out of Scotland in a long time (if not ever). It's a revenge movie, it's a mystery, it's an emotional drama and it's a look at the CCTV-riddled society that Scots live in. Cast and crew all do an excellent job and deserve all the praise they've received (and will receive). Turned out to be a highlight of my trip to the 2006 London Film Festival.
27. AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH
I said at the time that it might not be the best film of the year but it could be the most important. Al Gore's documentary is as scary as any horror movie could dream of - put simply, we must change and change quickly or our world is facing its demise a lot sooner than any of us would like. Gripping from start to finish and packed with evidence to back up the claims it offers - only time will tell if we have listened.
26. BLESSED BY FIRE
This war movie was unusual in that it tackled the Falklands War from an Argentinean perspective. Focusing on the human cost of fighting in the conflict, the film offered an unflinching view of the horrors faced by the soldiers who fought during the battle and the horrors they experienced on their return.
It damns both British and Argentinean governments in the process and is one of the most powerful and political films of the year. Despite being a highlight of the Spanish-language festival I saw it at and scooping a prize at the Tribeca festival, it's yet to see a theatrical release here. Someone really needs to sort that out.
Continued tomorrow! (I know, I'm such a tease)
Labels: Best of 2006

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home