Cork Film Festival 2007 (shorts)
I arrived in Cork on Thursday in time to catch the second selection in the Irish Shorts strand of the festival. From what I saw of this and subsequent shorts (I also caught the third collection), there is a wealth of talented film makers in Ireland currently plying their trade in the world of shorts. I've decided therefore to leave the features until a second blog entry and for now I'll cast my eye over the shorts I saw.
The Grass is Greener (Orla McHardy) is a visual interpretation of an Ivor Cutler poem; clearly cut together on a meagre budget but nevertheless manages to enhance the experience of hearing's Cutler's poem.
Asylum (John Haugh) is a very short film on the immigrant experience of asylum seekers in Ireland. For a film on the same subject matter I'd seek out MOSNEY (see my recent Stranger Than Fiction write-up) but this one does as much as it can in its two-minute running time.
Blind Eye (Damien De Burca) features Ardal O'Hanlon as an official who does a good deed for a refugee in Ireland during the second world war and is a positive, professional short that is made all the more uplifting for being based on a true story.
Parklife (Alan Early) is an honest and unflinching, and also undeniably fascinating, look at the life of a gay cruiser and how he has dealt with his shunned habit.
The Formorian (Aideen McCarthy) is an accomplished short displaying a world of fantasy and monsters that suggests the director could easily make a good job of a major feature.
New Boy (Steph Green) is a funny and touching adaptation of Roddy Doyle's tale about an African boy starting school in Ireland - funny, touching and one of my favourite entries.
The White Dress (Vanessa Gildea) shows a little girl experiencing her first communion, though perhaps not in the manner you'd expect. It might only be a short but it relies on the presence of the young actress in the lead role and she carries it off perfectly.
Death in the West (Keith Mannix) is a downbeat, morbidly funny tale of Irish culture and in particular the love of a good funeral. Plenty of laughs are to be had amidst the grief.
Marmalade (Louise Bagnall) is an animated tale of a sweet little girl trying to make friends and is told in a wonderfully effective and jaunty animated style.
I Miss You as Much as the Size of the World (Jo Neylin) is a simple but effective recording of a young lad making an emotional phonecall.
Matterhorn (Ken Walshe) features Niamh Cusack as a woman undergoing a very particular, and rather depressing, treatment from a young doctor. Brief but affecting.
An Cailleach Bhearra (Naomi Wilson) is a haunting and visually stunning Irish myth delivered with humour, panache and a unique use of some lovely location work.
No Regrets in the West (Colm Quinn) is another touching effort about family, in particular a man's memories of his father - atmospheric and funny, but with a hint of sadness. I didn't mention it at the time, but I saw this one at Stranger Than Fiction too.
Without Words (Brian Deane) uses chronological and visual trickery to tell a sad tale of two friends whose latest meeting is not all it appears. This one is very well executed on a technical level and also packs an emotional punch. Easily the best of the shorts I saw, it's absolutely brilliant and I urge you to see it if you get the opportunity.
Pump Action (Frank Reid Beechinor) is an accomplished and hilarious twist on an Irish stereotype that will amuse locals and foreigners alike.
No Sweat (Marc McElroy, David Noble) unfortunately had to be postponed due to technical difficulties. I couldn't make it to the second screening sadly, which is a shame as from the bits I did see, this tale of two friends embarking on a life of crime as one of them becomes a hitman was very, very funny.
The full length features that I saw in Cork will be written about here shortly. Or at least they should be. If they don't appear soon, it's because I'm going to another film festival on Friday morning, in which case I'll write them up when I return.
The Grass is Greener (Orla McHardy) is a visual interpretation of an Ivor Cutler poem; clearly cut together on a meagre budget but nevertheless manages to enhance the experience of hearing's Cutler's poem.
Asylum (John Haugh) is a very short film on the immigrant experience of asylum seekers in Ireland. For a film on the same subject matter I'd seek out MOSNEY (see my recent Stranger Than Fiction write-up) but this one does as much as it can in its two-minute running time.
Blind Eye (Damien De Burca) features Ardal O'Hanlon as an official who does a good deed for a refugee in Ireland during the second world war and is a positive, professional short that is made all the more uplifting for being based on a true story.
Parklife (Alan Early) is an honest and unflinching, and also undeniably fascinating, look at the life of a gay cruiser and how he has dealt with his shunned habit.
The Formorian (Aideen McCarthy) is an accomplished short displaying a world of fantasy and monsters that suggests the director could easily make a good job of a major feature.
New Boy (Steph Green) is a funny and touching adaptation of Roddy Doyle's tale about an African boy starting school in Ireland - funny, touching and one of my favourite entries.
The White Dress (Vanessa Gildea) shows a little girl experiencing her first communion, though perhaps not in the manner you'd expect. It might only be a short but it relies on the presence of the young actress in the lead role and she carries it off perfectly.
Death in the West (Keith Mannix) is a downbeat, morbidly funny tale of Irish culture and in particular the love of a good funeral. Plenty of laughs are to be had amidst the grief.
Marmalade (Louise Bagnall) is an animated tale of a sweet little girl trying to make friends and is told in a wonderfully effective and jaunty animated style.
I Miss You as Much as the Size of the World (Jo Neylin) is a simple but effective recording of a young lad making an emotional phonecall.
Matterhorn (Ken Walshe) features Niamh Cusack as a woman undergoing a very particular, and rather depressing, treatment from a young doctor. Brief but affecting.
An Cailleach Bhearra (Naomi Wilson) is a haunting and visually stunning Irish myth delivered with humour, panache and a unique use of some lovely location work.
No Regrets in the West (Colm Quinn) is another touching effort about family, in particular a man's memories of his father - atmospheric and funny, but with a hint of sadness. I didn't mention it at the time, but I saw this one at Stranger Than Fiction too.
Without Words (Brian Deane) uses chronological and visual trickery to tell a sad tale of two friends whose latest meeting is not all it appears. This one is very well executed on a technical level and also packs an emotional punch. Easily the best of the shorts I saw, it's absolutely brilliant and I urge you to see it if you get the opportunity.
Pump Action (Frank Reid Beechinor) is an accomplished and hilarious twist on an Irish stereotype that will amuse locals and foreigners alike.
No Sweat (Marc McElroy, David Noble) unfortunately had to be postponed due to technical difficulties. I couldn't make it to the second screening sadly, which is a shame as from the bits I did see, this tale of two friends embarking on a life of crime as one of them becomes a hitman was very, very funny.
The full length features that I saw in Cork will be written about here shortly. Or at least they should be. If they don't appear soon, it's because I'm going to another film festival on Friday morning, in which case I'll write them up when I return.
Labels: cork film festival, Film festivals, Irish film, short films

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home