Irish film update (17 Jan)
Another brief round-up on the Irish movie front.
Are you familiar with the film THE LAST CONFESSION OF ALEXANDER PEARCE?
Nope, nor am I, since currently it's only popped up on RTE in Ireland. The film tells the true story of the Irishman who was transported to one of the most infamous prisons and ended up in the wilds of Australia indulging in cannibalism. The film is to be shown on BBC in the UK (no idea when - let me know if you find out) but in the meantime a documentary is being shown on the subject, on the History channel (UK). It's on Sunday 25th January at 9pm. And while you're on the History channel, watch out for a repeat of the two-part documentary FLEEING THE FAMINE, which has just been shown. Terrific, if somewhat depressing.
IFTN reports that Decklan Recks' EDEN has finally found a UK-based distributor. No word yet on when or if it will appear in UK cinemas, but wherever it appears, you should see it. It'll be appearing very high up my "Best of 2008" list, whenever I get round to writing it.
Talking of distribution, I also see from IFTN that someone has picked up the controversial and brilliant documentary FAIRYTALE OF KATHMANDU for US distribution. Quite right too.
IFTN also reports the nominations for the IFTA short film award. Particularly pleasing is that they're all films I've seen - can't say that ever happens at the Oscars. The films are AN RANGER (PJ Dillon), THE DOOR (Juanita Wilson), MARTIN (Sean Branigan) and OF BEST INTENTIONS (Brian Durnin). If I had to pick one, it'd probably prefer AN RANGER to win but to be honest they're all very good and I'm happy for all of them, whoever wins. I think THE DOOR will probably scoop it.
On the subject of short films, WALK ON BY (Tim Hannan) which I saw and very much enjoyed at Galway last year is now available on YouTube.
Well done also to Connor Clements who, I've just read in the press, has had his short film JAMES (another one I've mentioned here in the past) selected to screen at Sundance. Apparently it'll be available on iTunes during the festival as well, so watch out for that.
And finally, well done to Colin Farrell for winning an acting award at the Golden Globes for the terrific IN BRUGES. Normally I wouldn't even mention this, but he's the only thing that meant I made a profit when gambling on the awards (didn't think SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE would win quite as many as it did). Result.
Are you familiar with the film THE LAST CONFESSION OF ALEXANDER PEARCE?
Nope, nor am I, since currently it's only popped up on RTE in Ireland. The film tells the true story of the Irishman who was transported to one of the most infamous prisons and ended up in the wilds of Australia indulging in cannibalism. The film is to be shown on BBC in the UK (no idea when - let me know if you find out) but in the meantime a documentary is being shown on the subject, on the History channel (UK). It's on Sunday 25th January at 9pm. And while you're on the History channel, watch out for a repeat of the two-part documentary FLEEING THE FAMINE, which has just been shown. Terrific, if somewhat depressing.
IFTN reports that Decklan Recks' EDEN has finally found a UK-based distributor. No word yet on when or if it will appear in UK cinemas, but wherever it appears, you should see it. It'll be appearing very high up my "Best of 2008" list, whenever I get round to writing it.
Talking of distribution, I also see from IFTN that someone has picked up the controversial and brilliant documentary FAIRYTALE OF KATHMANDU for US distribution. Quite right too.
IFTN also reports the nominations for the IFTA short film award. Particularly pleasing is that they're all films I've seen - can't say that ever happens at the Oscars. The films are AN RANGER (PJ Dillon), THE DOOR (Juanita Wilson), MARTIN (Sean Branigan) and OF BEST INTENTIONS (Brian Durnin). If I had to pick one, it'd probably prefer AN RANGER to win but to be honest they're all very good and I'm happy for all of them, whoever wins. I think THE DOOR will probably scoop it.
On the subject of short films, WALK ON BY (Tim Hannan) which I saw and very much enjoyed at Galway last year is now available on YouTube.
Well done also to Connor Clements who, I've just read in the press, has had his short film JAMES (another one I've mentioned here in the past) selected to screen at Sundance. Apparently it'll be available on iTunes during the festival as well, so watch out for that.
And finally, well done to Colin Farrell for winning an acting award at the Golden Globes for the terrific IN BRUGES. Normally I wouldn't even mention this, but he's the only thing that meant I made a profit when gambling on the awards (didn't think SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE would win quite as many as it did). Result.
Labels: documentaries, Irish film, short films

2 Comments:
The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce will be shown on BBC Northern Ireland on the 23rd February. A version of the film (edited down for History Channel and called Cannibal Convict) will also be shown on the 25th January. This is an amazing film and seemed to slip under the radar when shown in Ireland.
Thanks for the info. Obviously I was aware of the History Channel show but I didn't know it was an edited version of the full film.
I've already got the History one set to record but I'll keep an eye out for the BBC screening. Barring any dodgy licensing issues, BBC NI is available here through Sky, so that's a result.
I only just realised that this story was also the subject of a documentary called Exile in Hell, which showed at Stranger Than Fiction in Dublin a couple of years back. I was there, but missed that screening - wonder if that might resurface on TV somewhere?
Thanks,
Alan
Post a Comment
<< Home