Scottish update (4 March)
Okay, a bunch of Scottish-related film updates for you. I am seriously considering replacing the Freakpit with an all-new blog concentrating on the Scottish and Irish stuff by the way. Just so you know.
Richard Jobson's cult-destined Edinburgh action film NEW TOWN KILLERS, which I really want to see but have missed thus far, is playing at the Belfast Film Festival, which just announced its programme.
The Scottish short film THE HAPPY DUCKLING is playing as part of a collection of short films for kids at the DCA in Dundee on the 21st and 22nd on March. Additionally, there is a special event with the filmmakers on the 21st.
The MacRobert in Stirling is showing Alfred Hitchcock's fantastic version of THE 39 STEPS on 20th March and is also having a "Tartan Day" screening of STONE OF DESTINY on 4th April.
The Hippodrome, Scotland's oldest purpose-built cinema (completed in 1911) is nearing the end of its restoration and should open its doors as a cinema again in April. Check out these pictures on Flickr and try telling me you don't want to watch films in places like this.
BAFTA Scotland has announced the nominations for this year's New Talent Awards. First of all, well done to Rose Leslie for her nomination for NEW TOWN, as I thought her great performance was one of the few endearing characteristics of this BBC misfire.
What I really wanted to point out however are the nominations in the fiction category, as all three of them - FLASHED, I'M IN AWAY FROM HERE and LIFE OF A PIGEON - were covered by me in my recent round-up of the stuff I saw at the Glasgow Film Festival. LIFE OF A PIGEON also scored an acting nomination for Owen Gorman. Well done to all involved with all three films.
Talking of LIFE OF A PIGEON, I believe that you can actually watch it on the director's website at www.billycampbell.co.uk so off you go and do that now. There's another film he made as well, ISLAND TO ISLA, but I've not watched it (yet).
While we're on the subject of the shorts I saw at Glasgow, I should also point out that you can see FOUR FUR A FIVER on Youtube. Go here to see this short documentary.
Finally, again on the subject of Scottish short films, one of Scotland's most successful shorts, CRY FOR BOBO, is available on the BBC Film Network.
That's all for now. There's an Irish update coming tomorrow night.
Richard Jobson's cult-destined Edinburgh action film NEW TOWN KILLERS, which I really want to see but have missed thus far, is playing at the Belfast Film Festival, which just announced its programme.
The Scottish short film THE HAPPY DUCKLING is playing as part of a collection of short films for kids at the DCA in Dundee on the 21st and 22nd on March. Additionally, there is a special event with the filmmakers on the 21st.
The MacRobert in Stirling is showing Alfred Hitchcock's fantastic version of THE 39 STEPS on 20th March and is also having a "Tartan Day" screening of STONE OF DESTINY on 4th April.
The Hippodrome, Scotland's oldest purpose-built cinema (completed in 1911) is nearing the end of its restoration and should open its doors as a cinema again in April. Check out these pictures on Flickr and try telling me you don't want to watch films in places like this.
BAFTA Scotland has announced the nominations for this year's New Talent Awards. First of all, well done to Rose Leslie for her nomination for NEW TOWN, as I thought her great performance was one of the few endearing characteristics of this BBC misfire.
What I really wanted to point out however are the nominations in the fiction category, as all three of them - FLASHED, I'M IN AWAY FROM HERE and LIFE OF A PIGEON - were covered by me in my recent round-up of the stuff I saw at the Glasgow Film Festival. LIFE OF A PIGEON also scored an acting nomination for Owen Gorman. Well done to all involved with all three films.
Talking of LIFE OF A PIGEON, I believe that you can actually watch it on the director's website at www.billycampbell.co.uk so off you go and do that now. There's another film he made as well, ISLAND TO ISLA, but I've not watched it (yet).
While we're on the subject of the shorts I saw at Glasgow, I should also point out that you can see FOUR FUR A FIVER on Youtube. Go here to see this short documentary.
Finally, again on the subject of Scottish short films, one of Scotland's most successful shorts, CRY FOR BOBO, is available on the BBC Film Network.
That's all for now. There's an Irish update coming tomorrow night.
Labels: scottish film, short films

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home