Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Fantastic voyage (to the thoracic ward)

There could be a lack of activity here for a short while as I'm off for a chest operation that will probably see me in hospital for about a week. That of course means no films.

Well, okay, not necessarily no films - last time I was in for the same operation I did still manage to squeeze in one old spy movie starring David Niven, but frankly it was rubbish and I can't even remember what it was called - and that's because of the quality of the film rather than me being off my face on drugs. Although now I mention it, it would be difficult to type anything when stuck in bed, ripped to the tits on morphine.

So before I depart I thought I'd make one last entry on a suitable theme. After wracking my brains to try and think of a film that revolved around hospital operations, the best film I could eventually come up with was FANTASTIC VOYAGE.

So what to write about? The novel concept of a miniaturised submersible injected into a human body? The weird and atonal score devised by Leonard Rosenman to reflect the strange alien world of organs and blood vessels? The spectacular special effects?

You'd think so, but no.

See, the problem is, once I start thinking about FANTASTIC VOYAGE, I think of the people in it - Stephen Ben-Hur Boyd, Edmund White Heat O'Brien, Donald every other film ever made Pleasance. And then I get to Raquel Welch... and I'm afraid once I start thinking of Raquel Welch it's difficult to think of much else. So that was the end of that.

Still, you've got to applaud me for managing to write a blog entry about Raquel Welch in which the only chest I refer to is my own.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home