EIFF - it begins!
DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY
My first film at this year's Edinburgh International Film Festival was the opening presentation in this year's director retrospective (subjects in the previous years being Michael Powell and Valerio Zurlini, both of which kicked all manner of ass), which in 2006 is dedicated to Mitchell Leisen.
Yeah, I admit it, I'd never heard of him either.
This one is from 1934 and will sound familiar to anyone who has seen the Brad Pitt-starring MEET JOE BLACK, being the inspiration for said recent update.
The Grim Reaper decides to take a three-day holiday and spends time with a rich family in a big mansion but, whoops, falls victim to mortal desires. Old Death himself falls in love.
The film looks lovely, with the baroque sets positively bursting out the frame. On the other hand, some of the performances and speech are very stilted in that old-time movie way. Of course to some that just adds to its charm.
The scenes with Death in his natural state are actually rather spooky, while the romantic in you will surely be warmed by the love-conquers-all finale (more so than the love-conquers-all finale of NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART II: FREDDY'S REVENGE, which was just pish).
I also love how these old movies end immediately when the story reaches its natural conclusion rather than adding on some epilogue which usually turns out to be a bit of an anticlimax.
Not a bad start, then. I'm now off to check out a couple of newer films - if I get time later tonight I'll post my thoughts on them too. Keep checking back for updates!
Labels: Edinburgh Film Festival, Film festivals, Mitchell Leisen

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home