Monday, September 18, 2006

The Last of the Fringe

When the EIFF finished on the Sunday, I still had one day of holiday time left which, it just so happened, was also the last day of the Fringe. I took the opportunity then to take in a few more shows and, having written about all the other ones I saw, I thought it only fair that I gave these ones a mention too.

I started with HOW TO BUILD A TIME MACHINE, a one-man show in which a young scientist teaches a class about the theory and the physics behind time travel. There's a lot of complicated science-y stuff and some sprinklings of clever humour, but what sticks in the mind is the gradual revelation of a touching backstory that ends up why revealing why just why the scientist is so obsessed with time travel. Interesting, funny and affecting.

CHANBARA combines Japanese folks with massive drums and Japanese folks with big swords. It's an impressive display of traditional music and swordplay (from some guy who did some work on KILL BILL, apparently) and just a little mental. Very impressive.

I followed that with Reginald D. Hunter, a stand-up comedian who probably offended more than a few people (indeed, he was accused, wrongly, of being anti-semitic in the press during the festival) and certainly the girl I sat next to kept a straight face for most of the show. I, on the other hand, had tears streaming down my face. He might not say what you want to hear but you'll be glad he said it.

Then I finished my month-long festival spectacular with a late-night musical theatre production of NOSFERATU, which you might well be familiar with if you're a film geek. And if you're not, I can't think why you'd be reading this blog. Anyway, the young mob responsible for this show did a grand job, not just with their assured performances but with the atmosphere and, well, pretty much the whole production. It was spooky, it was funny, it was an hour well spent.

I then went home, got to my bed at about 2am and got up early for my return to work the next day. I've just about recovered now, I think.

I'll be back to talking about films from now on. Well, until next summer, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home