Oscars 2008: Stupid Predictions (animated)
The stupid predictions just keep on coming. Next, I thought I'd look at the category for the best animated movie. This time there are twelve films submitted, of which I have seen just two and of which (I think) three are nominated. I'd say that makes the idea of predicting anything pretty stupid, so again I live up to the title above.
One of the two I've seen is TEKKONKINKREET. It was rubbish. I don't see it making it in there to be honest. It's not been widely seen (though that could change) and I'm going to go with my gut instinct and say it's just too obscure a choice. Plus it's rubbish. Did I mention that?
The other one I've seen is THE SIMPSONS MOVIE. I really enjoyed this one, though I guess you'd have to be a fan of the series to really get the most out of it. The fact that it was such a phenomenon (a movie based on the popular TV show has been a long time coming) could be enough to get it nominated, but the fact that it's essentially a 90-minute episode of the show and got some lukewarm reviews is enough to ensure it's unlikely to win.
So what of the others on the list? (The list can be found here by the way)
AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE COLON MOVIE FILM FOR THEATERS (excellent name) is one that I almost went to see but didn't. It's not the usual animated offering by all accounts but, like the aforementioned THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, it got mediocre reviews and was accused of being just more of the same as its TV original.
BEOWULF looks horrible to me - others seem to love it though and the few rave reviews coupled with the new visual techniques (regardless of whether they appeal to me or not) could see it sneak a nomination.
RATATOUILLE is both a Disney/Pixar movie and got a lot of great reviews. It's therefore guaranteed to be nominated and almost certain to win.
SHREK THE THIRD seems to be more of the same and was not reviewed well. This will receive no nomination.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. I just can't see it somehow.
There are a few others on the list too, but while BEE MOVIE and SURF'S UP look like possible contenders too, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a wild prediction.
The nominations will be BEOWULF, RATATOUILLE and THE SIMPSONS MOVIE. RATATOUILLE will win. Even if I get the nominations totally wrong, RATATOUILLE will still win.
Note: This is a category I know nothing about and I don't really pay much attention to. Please do not bet your house and car on anything I have said above as I can't be held responsible.
One of the two I've seen is TEKKONKINKREET. It was rubbish. I don't see it making it in there to be honest. It's not been widely seen (though that could change) and I'm going to go with my gut instinct and say it's just too obscure a choice. Plus it's rubbish. Did I mention that?
The other one I've seen is THE SIMPSONS MOVIE. I really enjoyed this one, though I guess you'd have to be a fan of the series to really get the most out of it. The fact that it was such a phenomenon (a movie based on the popular TV show has been a long time coming) could be enough to get it nominated, but the fact that it's essentially a 90-minute episode of the show and got some lukewarm reviews is enough to ensure it's unlikely to win.
So what of the others on the list? (The list can be found here by the way)
AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE COLON MOVIE FILM FOR THEATERS (excellent name) is one that I almost went to see but didn't. It's not the usual animated offering by all accounts but, like the aforementioned THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, it got mediocre reviews and was accused of being just more of the same as its TV original.
BEOWULF looks horrible to me - others seem to love it though and the few rave reviews coupled with the new visual techniques (regardless of whether they appeal to me or not) could see it sneak a nomination.
RATATOUILLE is both a Disney/Pixar movie and got a lot of great reviews. It's therefore guaranteed to be nominated and almost certain to win.
SHREK THE THIRD seems to be more of the same and was not reviewed well. This will receive no nomination.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. I just can't see it somehow.
There are a few others on the list too, but while BEE MOVIE and SURF'S UP look like possible contenders too, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a wild prediction.
The nominations will be BEOWULF, RATATOUILLE and THE SIMPSONS MOVIE. RATATOUILLE will win. Even if I get the nominations totally wrong, RATATOUILLE will still win.
Note: This is a category I know nothing about and I don't really pay much attention to. Please do not bet your house and car on anything I have said above as I can't be held responsible.
Labels: oscars

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home