Monday, December 03, 2007

Oscars 2008: Stupid Predictions (foreign)

So back to my stupidly misguided Oscar predictions then. While rummaging around the Oscars press announcements, I found this article from way back in October in which the 63 films that have been put forward for nomination in the foreign language Oscar category are listed. In advance of this list being narrowed down to the lucky few, I may as well get my stupid predictions in early.

And believe me, they are stupid. For you see, of this list of 63 films I have seen a whopping great... two of them. I'd say that makes anything I can predict certainly qualify as being a pretty stupid prediction.

A few of these candidates have played at festivals I attended, but with my usual nose for the films nobody wants to see, I missed them. I heard good things about both XXY and I SERVED THE KING OF ENGLAND when they played at EIFF this year. I also note that a lot of buzz has been centred on 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS as well, which has already done very well on the festival circuit and I expect it to be nominated.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see a nomination for Carlos Reygadas's SILENT LIGHT given some of the early press I've read on that one - but I'll check that out shortly as it is due to open at one of my local cinemas shortly.

Another couple that are either on at the moment or else opening soon are THE BAND'S VISIT and Ang Lee's LUST, CAUTION, both of which would seem like very good candidates for the list based on early word of mouth. Not so however, as both films are ineligible due to technicalities. So there.

The two that I have seen? That would be Ireland's KINGS and Austria's THE COUNTERFEITERS. I saw the former in Ireland and the latter at the EIFF and both were excellent - I've provided links to my Freakpit mutterings from both viewings. My heart says KINGS would make a great winner, but my head says I'll be surprised if it even gets nominated. THE COUNTERFEITERS on the other hand is, I reckon, a shoe-in for a nomination and may very well have a good chance of actually winning.

So there you have it, my prediction based on seeing two out of 63 possible nominees. It goes without saying that you probably shouldn't put any money on this based on my opinions.

Finally, following my recent predictions concerning the documentary category, I should add that I saw Michael Moore's SICKO last week and it's very, very good - possibly his best work (out of the ones I've seen at least). Okay, it's Michael Moore, so I'm sure it's not exactly the whole story but it's still powerful and entertaining in equal measure and is definitely in the running in my humble opinion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home