Saturday, April 05, 2008

BENEATH (2007)

Why on Earth would I watch a film that is graced by the phrase "produced by MTV films"? I have no idea, but found myself wondering that before long when I sat down to watch BENEATH.

This horror film aimed, funnily enough, at the MTV-watching youth demographic stars Nora Zehetner. You might remember her as the femme fatale in teen noir BRICK. Or perhaps you saw her playing Eden in the TV show HEROES. At a stretch, you might even recall that she's listed in the cast of AMERICAN PIE 2 as "Girl at Party" - but probably not. I mention this only because this is as close as the film has to a star. The rest of the cast seems to have been populated entirely by charisma-free nobodies on the run from made-for-TV and straight-to-DVD movies.

Of course, that doesn't mean anything in itself. Maybe they'd win me over when I saw them in this... oh, it's no use.

Zehetner is Christy, a young girl who was responsible for her sister's crippling injuries (later resulting in death) in a car crash. This is due largely to that annoying habit that American teen movies have of letting people who are clearly far too young to drive get behind the wheel of a car. I don't know what the law about legal driving age in the USA is, but if the movies are anything to go by it needs changed.

Anyway, Christy returns to her home town, where nobody likes her and they all remember her going mental at her sister's funeral because she didn't think that her sister was dead. How did she know this? Her premonition powers! Where did these powers come from? No idea.

And that sums up most of this film. Stuff happens because the story needs it to happen, not because it makes any sense. People die, weird things happen, the girl keeps having premonitions, blah blah blah whatever.

Look, I can't even be bothered anymore. I've made it this far and now I can't even motivate myself to write any insightful remarks about the movie. It's a mess of horror cliches, stupid characters and unbelievably contrived happenings and unless you're about twelve you'll recognise it for the crap that it is.

Unless of course you're sensible and see the words "produced by MTV films" and switch your TV off.

Like I wish I'd done.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home