Current release: JESUS CAMP
Okay, this might not quite be a current release, but it only just turned up for a few days at one of my local haunts.
It's a documentary about a bunch of born-again kids who spend their summer at a camp where they're taught how to evangelise.
I want to make it clear that I am not bashing religion. I see no reason why people of differing beliefs or non-religious backgrounds can't learn to tolerate and respect each other's beliefs, but obviously that's not going to happen. It doesn't stop me doing it though.
With that said, I have to say that this film is scary stuff. Some of the children seem genuinely religious and fair play to them; unfortunately they seem to be in a minority. What this film shows is how the ever-increasing Christian fundamentalists are slowly grabbing hold of power in America (with that idiot of a president being one of their heroes) - while I have respect for religion, I don't believe it has a place in politics - and how these same people are using camps like this to indoctrinate their children to their belief system. The thinking seems to be that Muslims are enemies and they are brainwashing their children, so us Christians better do the same because our God's better than theirs. This is a programme for breeding religious footsoldiers.
The documentary's a fascinating one, but it makes me fear for the future of the world.
It's a documentary about a bunch of born-again kids who spend their summer at a camp where they're taught how to evangelise.
I want to make it clear that I am not bashing religion. I see no reason why people of differing beliefs or non-religious backgrounds can't learn to tolerate and respect each other's beliefs, but obviously that's not going to happen. It doesn't stop me doing it though.
With that said, I have to say that this film is scary stuff. Some of the children seem genuinely religious and fair play to them; unfortunately they seem to be in a minority. What this film shows is how the ever-increasing Christian fundamentalists are slowly grabbing hold of power in America (with that idiot of a president being one of their heroes) - while I have respect for religion, I don't believe it has a place in politics - and how these same people are using camps like this to indoctrinate their children to their belief system. The thinking seems to be that Muslims are enemies and they are brainwashing their children, so us Christians better do the same because our God's better than theirs. This is a programme for breeding religious footsoldiers.
The documentary's a fascinating one, but it makes me fear for the future of the world.
Labels: documentaries

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home