Cork'08 - A NOCTURNE
A NOCTURNE is a very low budget (practically no-budget) vampire movie from Australia. It's a brave attempt to do something a little bit different with the genre but unfortunately it's a load of unwatchable tosh.
I wish them all the best as they seemed like nice folk but sadly that isn't going to make this film any better. The low-budget shot-on-video look of the film was always going to present problems with creating atmosphere - call me a traditionalist, but it just doesn't match film - and the lighting on the film is totally at odds with the atmosphere it tries to create.
I feel like I should criticise the acting but I'm not entirely sure it's the cast's that they struggle. Rather, it's more likely to do with the pretentious and utterly mind-numbing script, large parts of which appear to be nothing more than a fat bearded guy talking pish. Unintentional laughter ensued.
I really, really wanted to like this and I applaud what the makers tried to do but I'm afraid there's nothing on offer here but abject failure.
I wish them all the best as they seemed like nice folk but sadly that isn't going to make this film any better. The low-budget shot-on-video look of the film was always going to present problems with creating atmosphere - call me a traditionalist, but it just doesn't match film - and the lighting on the film is totally at odds with the atmosphere it tries to create.
I feel like I should criticise the acting but I'm not entirely sure it's the cast's that they struggle. Rather, it's more likely to do with the pretentious and utterly mind-numbing script, large parts of which appear to be nothing more than a fat bearded guy talking pish. Unintentional laughter ensued.
I really, really wanted to like this and I applaud what the makers tried to do but I'm afraid there's nothing on offer here but abject failure.
Labels: cork film festival, Film festivals, horror

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home