Horrorthon'08: DRACULA (1992)
Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA seemed like an odd choice for a screening since, firstly, it's more of a romantic take than the traditional Dracula films and secondly, it's not exactly the best-reviewed version of the story either.
That said, I really enjoyed it, this being the first time I'd ever seen it. There are undoubtedly low points - Tom Waits as a lacklustre Renfield, Anthony Hopkins as a Van Helsing who can't seem to decide if he's a serious nemesis or comic relief, and of course anything involving Keanu Reeves.
Kick that lot out the way though and you're left with a decent film. Winona Ryder's surprisingly good, the various supporting men are stupid but entertaining, the score is certainly ominous and dramatic enough and the old-fashioned set design is just a work of art. On top of all that, Gary Oldman, who we already know is one of the best actors alive, is superb as the title character.
I still prefer the Hammer and Universal versions, but I was surprised by how good this film is.
That said, I really enjoyed it, this being the first time I'd ever seen it. There are undoubtedly low points - Tom Waits as a lacklustre Renfield, Anthony Hopkins as a Van Helsing who can't seem to decide if he's a serious nemesis or comic relief, and of course anything involving Keanu Reeves.
Kick that lot out the way though and you're left with a decent film. Winona Ryder's surprisingly good, the various supporting men are stupid but entertaining, the score is certainly ominous and dramatic enough and the old-fashioned set design is just a work of art. On top of all that, Gary Oldman, who we already know is one of the best actors alive, is superb as the title character.
I still prefer the Hammer and Universal versions, but I was surprised by how good this film is.
Labels: Dracula, Film festivals, horror, Horrorthon

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home