Saturday, February 28, 2009

JDIFF09: WITHNAIL AND I

I felt a bit left out at this screening since it seemed to be largely made up of people who were more than familiar with the cult British movie as opposed to people like myself who have sat with a copy of the film at home for years without getting round to watching it.

The story of two unemployed, booze-fuelled actors who go on a bender in the countryside with affectionate Richard Griffiths, the film certainly has its share of quotable dialogue and funny moments but it's just not entirely suited to my taste. I can't quite put my finger on what was wrong but I found large parts of it slightly depressing - in that respect it would make for a good (if unusual) double bill of grim 80s Britishness alongside RADIO ON.

I'm glad I finally saw it, and with an appreciative audience, but I think the chances of me ever joining that dialogue-quoting elite are pretty slim.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home