Wednesday, February 18, 2009

JDIFF09: SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK

Written and directed by king of weird Charlie Kaufman, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK focuses on theatre director Phillip Seymour Hoffman as he tries to come up with a new play while battling illness and failed romances.

I hated this film. Hated, hated, hated it. There's come great acting, a decent score too, but there was just something about it that grated. The combination of gratuitous weirdness for the sake of weird, the general air of misery and despair, of doomed love, of hopelessness, the obsession and simulataneous triviliasation of death, the general mood of cynicism, pessimism and general mean-spirited unpleasantness. I don't know, there's nothing there that I've probably not enjoyed in other films, but on this occasion it really got to me and when the two hours finally dragged to a close I just left the cinema feeling really, really angry.

A horrible film.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home