Thursday, September 21, 2006

Gobsmacking Cinema: THE THING WITH TWO HEADS (1972)


Sometimes I like a good science fiction movie; sometimes it's a western; occasionally a comedy; I might even be in the mood for a romance; or maybe a good thriller.

Then again, sometimes I just find myself in the mood for a man in a two-headed gorilla costume trashing a supermarket.

A little while back I was chatting about Ray Milland in AIP's PANIC IN YEAR ZERO. Well, just a few days ago I decided to dig out another Milland-starring AIP drive-in classic, and perfect candidate for the return of my gobsmacking cinema series, THE THING WITH TWO HEADS. In case you're thinking that the titular thing is the aforementioned gorilla, it's not. The gorilla is just the warm up act - the main event is even more fun.

Milland plays a top surgeon who, while undoubtedly brilliant, happens to be a white, racist bigot. An unfortunate chain of events involving his latest experiments and a terminal illness results in him having his head removed and grafted onto the body of a black convict on death row ("Rosey" Grier). Seriously.

I can't begin to describe how much fun this is, but it's a film that could only have come from the 70s. It's the ultimate decade for exploitational trash that filled the drive-ins and grindhouse cinemas despite being either rubbish, ludicrous or both. This film is a classic example of an insanely brilliant high-concept, low-budget movie with little in the way of "star" names - the kind of film that can't get a cinema release anymore.

Just check out some of the amazing lines that Milland has to say, while keeping a straight face:

"If you cut off my head, that'll be murder!"

"They've transplanted my head onto your body."

"That is not the gorilla's original head."

How can you read stuff like that and not think that modern cinema audiences are being deprived? Here at the Freakpit I'm always on a crusade to spread the word about barmy films that deserve more exposure and this one fits the bill perfectly.

My lesson is a simple one - next time you happen to see a film listed in your TV guide from the 50s, 60s or 70s that you've never heard of, looks insane and would clearly never get past the door of a studio these days, set your video. You might just get a treat that will outshine anything at your local multiplex.

Romantic comedy with Hugh Grant? Or a decapitated racist being double-crossed by a black convict out to clear his name? The choice is yours!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home