A special occasion
I never really got round to posting anything about Charlton Heston when he died recently, and I really should have. Perhaps one day soon I'll take the time to discuss just how many of my favourite films he's been in. On Saturday however I took the opportunity to attend a screening of The Greatest Film Ever Made (aka PLANET OF THE APES) which was showing at the Filmhouse as a tribute.
I've mentioned here before about this great film and how much I love it so I'm not going to rehash it all here. One of the things about this film though is that no matter how many times I watch it (and believe me, it's a lot) I still notice new details every time.
This viewing was no exception. Again I found myself noticing little details in the background (it certainly helps when you're watching it on a massive screen instead of your TV at home) but what struck me most this time was an element of the story.
A strength of PLANET OF THE APES, in my view, is that it has always evolved with the viewer. Kids can enjoy it for the action sci-fi romp that, for much of the film, it appears to be; but as you get older you notice more and more the political aspects of the film and how they engage with and reflect modern society.
This time what I noticed is how one aspect of the story has taken on a more relevant edge in modern times.
Looking at the situation today, particularly in America, where the religious right is gaining more power, not least because of the insane guy running the country, and the issue of evolution versus religion, faith versus science is as controversial as ever - to the point where there arguments about whether it should be taught in schools or not - you can't help but see a certain power and relevance in PLANET OF THE APES.
Cornelius (Roddy McDowall) advances a theory called evolution and it's branded heresy... the head honcho Doctor Zaius (Maurice Evans) is minister of science and chief defender of the faith, but claims there is no contradiction in the two... it's all a bit familiar. I'm sure that twenty years from now, we'll probably be reading even more into PLANET OF THE APES as it continues to evolve along with us. Assuming I'm allowed to use the word "evolve".
On the same day, I took in a screening, this time a tribute to Arthur C Clarke, of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.
It was showing from 70mm (a format that very few cinemas in the UK can show) and looked and sounded absolutely incredible. I have nothing more to add about the second best film of 1968 except that if you get the chance to see this from a decent print on the big screen and you ignore it, you're an idiot!
Just realised that this was my 200th post to the Freakpit. What better way to celebrate than with The Greatest Film Ever Made?
I've mentioned here before about this great film and how much I love it so I'm not going to rehash it all here. One of the things about this film though is that no matter how many times I watch it (and believe me, it's a lot) I still notice new details every time.
This viewing was no exception. Again I found myself noticing little details in the background (it certainly helps when you're watching it on a massive screen instead of your TV at home) but what struck me most this time was an element of the story.
A strength of PLANET OF THE APES, in my view, is that it has always evolved with the viewer. Kids can enjoy it for the action sci-fi romp that, for much of the film, it appears to be; but as you get older you notice more and more the political aspects of the film and how they engage with and reflect modern society.
This time what I noticed is how one aspect of the story has taken on a more relevant edge in modern times.
Looking at the situation today, particularly in America, where the religious right is gaining more power, not least because of the insane guy running the country, and the issue of evolution versus religion, faith versus science is as controversial as ever - to the point where there arguments about whether it should be taught in schools or not - you can't help but see a certain power and relevance in PLANET OF THE APES.
Cornelius (Roddy McDowall) advances a theory called evolution and it's branded heresy... the head honcho Doctor Zaius (Maurice Evans) is minister of science and chief defender of the faith, but claims there is no contradiction in the two... it's all a bit familiar. I'm sure that twenty years from now, we'll probably be reading even more into PLANET OF THE APES as it continues to evolve along with us. Assuming I'm allowed to use the word "evolve".
On the same day, I took in a screening, this time a tribute to Arthur C Clarke, of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.
It was showing from 70mm (a format that very few cinemas in the UK can show) and looked and sounded absolutely incredible. I have nothing more to add about the second best film of 1968 except that if you get the chance to see this from a decent print on the big screen and you ignore it, you're an idiot!
Just realised that this was my 200th post to the Freakpit. What better way to celebrate than with The Greatest Film Ever Made?
Labels: Planet of the Apes, science fiction films

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home