Cork'08 - Irish Shorts 3
Continuing my round up of the short films I saw at Cork this year...
PIROGUES (Alice Bohl) - Beautifully animated tale of two couples who seem worlds apart but will end up closer than they think. A genuine work of art. (8/10)
WHAT YOU DIDN'T SAY (David Tynan) - The third short film I've written about by this guy and I'm now really beginning to think he's got some issues. Once again, young love proves to be a scary place as two youngsters try to communicate their feelings but fail miserably. A lot funnier than it sounds though, and once again stylishly presented. (8/10)
MONA: A GHOST STORY (Terry O'Leary) - looks and sounds terrific, but I just didn't connect with it. (5/10)
FETISH PHOTOGRAPHY: QUESTIONS ANSWERED (Suzana Zalokar) - not as dirty as it sounds, and that's exactly the point of the film. Examining why people like such things and more importantly why women appear in it, this short sheds new light on a misunderstood topic. (7/10)
THE MORSE COLLECTORS (David Cooke) - I already covered this one at Galway, but it was a pleasure to see it again. Two kids in wartime Northern Ireland discover a haunting secret communication... (8/10)
WORN (Rebecca Daly) - interviews with a family, about their shoes. More interesting than it sounds but not really my cup of tea. (6/10)
FALL (Paddy Jolley) - Things fall out the sky and break. Okay, it's very arty and all that, but this one I just didn't get at all. Others did, so maybe I'm in a minority. Fair play, it looked nice though. (5/10)
SPACEMEN THREE (Hugh O'Connor) - Obviously had a bit of a budget, this one. Pat Shortt is the unwelcome Irish scientist stuck on a space mission with two astronauts who really don't want him there. A fairly average script is bolstered by slick presentation and a reliably amusing performance by Shortt. (8/10)
Cork coverage to be continued...
PIROGUES (Alice Bohl) - Beautifully animated tale of two couples who seem worlds apart but will end up closer than they think. A genuine work of art. (8/10)
WHAT YOU DIDN'T SAY (David Tynan) - The third short film I've written about by this guy and I'm now really beginning to think he's got some issues. Once again, young love proves to be a scary place as two youngsters try to communicate their feelings but fail miserably. A lot funnier than it sounds though, and once again stylishly presented. (8/10)
MONA: A GHOST STORY (Terry O'Leary) - looks and sounds terrific, but I just didn't connect with it. (5/10)
FETISH PHOTOGRAPHY: QUESTIONS ANSWERED (Suzana Zalokar) - not as dirty as it sounds, and that's exactly the point of the film. Examining why people like such things and more importantly why women appear in it, this short sheds new light on a misunderstood topic. (7/10)
THE MORSE COLLECTORS (David Cooke) - I already covered this one at Galway, but it was a pleasure to see it again. Two kids in wartime Northern Ireland discover a haunting secret communication... (8/10)
WORN (Rebecca Daly) - interviews with a family, about their shoes. More interesting than it sounds but not really my cup of tea. (6/10)
FALL (Paddy Jolley) - Things fall out the sky and break. Okay, it's very arty and all that, but this one I just didn't get at all. Others did, so maybe I'm in a minority. Fair play, it looked nice though. (5/10)
SPACEMEN THREE (Hugh O'Connor) - Obviously had a bit of a budget, this one. Pat Shortt is the unwelcome Irish scientist stuck on a space mission with two astronauts who really don't want him there. A fairly average script is bolstered by slick presentation and a reliably amusing performance by Shortt. (8/10)
Cork coverage to be continued...
Labels: cork film festival, Film festivals, Irish film, short films

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home