Scottish & Irish films: an update
I've had a real run on Scottish and Irish film recently, haven't I? Good. Long may it continue. Anyway, today's blog entry is another one of those public information announcements where I alert you to developments with some of the films I've covered before (usually at festivals).
SEACHD: THE INACCESSIBLE PINNACLE was a Scottish film that I loved when I saw it at the EIFF last year, the first to be shot in Gaelic. Its cinema release was limited to say the least, it was incredibly snubbed for Oscar consideration by the dimwits at BAFTA and it crept out onto DVD with barely a whisper by way of publicity. All of which is both a shame and an outrage. Anyway, I notice that clips from it have popped up during adverts on the newly launched Gaelic-language digital channel BBC Alba, so keep an eye on the schedules there. Given that BBC Alba helped to finance it, I'm assuming it's going to pop up on the station at some point!
Scottish geek comedy GAMERZ was another one that didn't get much in the way of publicity or cinema coverage, but I note that it has now come out on DVD and can be purchased cheaply.
After its playing at this year's EIFF, the Scottish independence movie STONE OF DESTINY is released to cinemas here from October 10th. As long as you don't mind it being fairly lightweight or the fact that the two young leads are played by non-Scots with dodgy accents it's an enjoyable little romp.
Now on to the Irish stuff.
I recently covered Alan Cooke's documentary HOME - well, I happened to notice while shopping in Dublin last weekend that it appears to have snuck out on DVD. Just in case you're interested.
Dublin boxing documentary SAVIOURS goes on release in Irish cinemas as of today.
ALARM, which I saw at Galway but didn't much care for, is to be released in Ireland from November 7th.
ANTON, which I also saw at Galway and definitely is worth seeing, goes on selected release in Ireland from October 10th.
Finally, if you're in the mood for something really weird and nutty, there's a screening of the experimental film DREAM DIARY at the IFI on October 19th, which I believe is the first screening since I saw it at Cork last year. If you like things like ERASERHEAD it'll probably be worth a whirl.
SEACHD: THE INACCESSIBLE PINNACLE was a Scottish film that I loved when I saw it at the EIFF last year, the first to be shot in Gaelic. Its cinema release was limited to say the least, it was incredibly snubbed for Oscar consideration by the dimwits at BAFTA and it crept out onto DVD with barely a whisper by way of publicity. All of which is both a shame and an outrage. Anyway, I notice that clips from it have popped up during adverts on the newly launched Gaelic-language digital channel BBC Alba, so keep an eye on the schedules there. Given that BBC Alba helped to finance it, I'm assuming it's going to pop up on the station at some point!
Scottish geek comedy GAMERZ was another one that didn't get much in the way of publicity or cinema coverage, but I note that it has now come out on DVD and can be purchased cheaply.
After its playing at this year's EIFF, the Scottish independence movie STONE OF DESTINY is released to cinemas here from October 10th. As long as you don't mind it being fairly lightweight or the fact that the two young leads are played by non-Scots with dodgy accents it's an enjoyable little romp.
Now on to the Irish stuff.
I recently covered Alan Cooke's documentary HOME - well, I happened to notice while shopping in Dublin last weekend that it appears to have snuck out on DVD. Just in case you're interested.
Dublin boxing documentary SAVIOURS goes on release in Irish cinemas as of today.
ALARM, which I saw at Galway but didn't much care for, is to be released in Ireland from November 7th.
ANTON, which I also saw at Galway and definitely is worth seeing, goes on selected release in Ireland from October 10th.
Finally, if you're in the mood for something really weird and nutty, there's a screening of the experimental film DREAM DIARY at the IFI on October 19th, which I believe is the first screening since I saw it at Cork last year. If you like things like ERASERHEAD it'll probably be worth a whirl.
Labels: Irish film, scottish film

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home