Horrorthon'08: MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN (2008)
This was very disappointing.
It's been so long since I read any Clive Barker that I can't even remember if I ever read the original story or not, so I've no idea how many misgivings about the story are his fault and how many are the fault of the film. Either way, I can't remember the last time I rolled my eyes and thought "that's just stupid" as many times as I did during this one.
I don't like CGI being used for gore as it just doesn't look right, but fair play, I have to admit that the gore in this film is at least very creative and imaginative. If you're going to have CG gore then I'm at least happy to see heads exploding and eyeballs popping out in gratuitous slow motion instead of shaky-cam, hyper-edit, too-dark-to-see-anything kind of stuff. Sadly that's about all the film had going for it.
Bland characters, daft story, and despite being required to do nothing except look mean and not say anything, Vinnie Jones still fails to convince me that he's an actor.
To be fair, I quite liked the ending (but not the final scene - too laboured) but I'd have liked it a lot more if I hadn't stopped caring about an hour earlier.
And that's my Horrorthon coverage at an end!
It's been so long since I read any Clive Barker that I can't even remember if I ever read the original story or not, so I've no idea how many misgivings about the story are his fault and how many are the fault of the film. Either way, I can't remember the last time I rolled my eyes and thought "that's just stupid" as many times as I did during this one.
I don't like CGI being used for gore as it just doesn't look right, but fair play, I have to admit that the gore in this film is at least very creative and imaginative. If you're going to have CG gore then I'm at least happy to see heads exploding and eyeballs popping out in gratuitous slow motion instead of shaky-cam, hyper-edit, too-dark-to-see-anything kind of stuff. Sadly that's about all the film had going for it.
Bland characters, daft story, and despite being required to do nothing except look mean and not say anything, Vinnie Jones still fails to convince me that he's an actor.
To be fair, I quite liked the ending (but not the final scene - too laboured) but I'd have liked it a lot more if I hadn't stopped caring about an hour earlier.
And that's my Horrorthon coverage at an end!
Labels: Film festivals, horror, Horrorthon

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home