Freakpit Oscar Diary 2008 Part 2
01:05 - Claudia Winkleman not only really annoys me but also appears to be bright orange. Apparently this is being broadcast in HD too, so it can't be pretty. The UK coverage is kicking off with not only this annoying woman, but studio guests including a critic (makes sense), a comedian (hmmm), and a bloody fashion journalist. Really, who gives a toss about the bloody dresses. In fact, in the time it's taken for me to type this, I've already considered smashing my TV as a result of the inane chat about make-up, handbags and dresses, as if somehow the studio guests are oil paintings themselves. Which they're not.
01:23 Just finished a piece of cheesecake. It was strawberry flavour. They've just had a summary of the British hopefuls and the first person they interviewed was Saoirse Ronan again. Have I got it wrong then? I wouldn't have said she was British. I'd still like to see her win though, as I go with whoever I feel deserves it rather than whoever is British.
01:31 Opening titles look a bit cheap, but I like seeing Spartacus fighting Darth Vader.
01:37 Jon Stewart is being pretty funny - seems like all the jokes that aren't going over that well are the ones that I find funniest though. Nice dig at NORBIT.
01:41 I'm crying. "Gaydolf Titler". Now that's funny.
01:44 Costume design goes to ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE. I'm off to a winning start, netting a £1.42 profit straight off. Yay! Good acceptance speech too.
01:54 The fact that Steve Carrell just used the S-word makes up for me losing money on the animated category. Yeah, I know, RATATOUILLE was always going to win but that's the crazy kind of guy I am.
01:56 YAY! A reference to PLANET OF THE APES (perhaps) in the make-up intro. I have no idea who this woman presenting the award is though. Hurrah, LA VIE EN ROSE wins. I've not seen it, but I bet on that one.
02:01 Amy Adams is performing the first of the nominated songs. She's great. I still want ONCE to win though.
02:08 Even presenting an Oscar, The Rock is totally wooden. GOLDEN COMPASS wins special effects Oscar. My money was on TRANSFORMERS, so I win nothing.
02:12 Art Direction goes to SWEENEY TODD. More money goes to my betting account. Hurrah.
02:17 Supporting actor goes to Javier Bardem. No surprise.
02:24 Jon Stewart is still very funny. We're about to get the second nominated song, from AUGUST RUSH. I didn't go and see that one, because the trailer made it look terrible. The first few bars of the song, and it sounds like the music is pretty crap too. God, it's not getting any better. Is that kid singing through her nose? Argh, this is terrible. Please, make it stop.
02:30 LE MOZART DES PICKPOCKETS wins best short film. I bet on that one too, based solely on the fact that it had an Oscar-worthy title. From the clips they just showed, I quite liked the look of THE TONTO WOMAN though.
02:32 Unbelievable. PETER AND THE WOLF wins best short animated film and I bet on that one too. Another lucky guess in a category I know nothing about. And hey, it's British.
02:35 The most open of the big awards. Best supporting actress goes to... Tilda Swinton. I didn't see that coming. Profit has just taken a serious dent. Wow, she just made a reference to BATMAN AND ROBIN, the worst film ever made.
To be continued...
01:23 Just finished a piece of cheesecake. It was strawberry flavour. They've just had a summary of the British hopefuls and the first person they interviewed was Saoirse Ronan again. Have I got it wrong then? I wouldn't have said she was British. I'd still like to see her win though, as I go with whoever I feel deserves it rather than whoever is British.
01:31 Opening titles look a bit cheap, but I like seeing Spartacus fighting Darth Vader.
01:37 Jon Stewart is being pretty funny - seems like all the jokes that aren't going over that well are the ones that I find funniest though. Nice dig at NORBIT.
01:41 I'm crying. "Gaydolf Titler". Now that's funny.
01:44 Costume design goes to ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE. I'm off to a winning start, netting a £1.42 profit straight off. Yay! Good acceptance speech too.
01:54 The fact that Steve Carrell just used the S-word makes up for me losing money on the animated category. Yeah, I know, RATATOUILLE was always going to win but that's the crazy kind of guy I am.
01:56 YAY! A reference to PLANET OF THE APES (perhaps) in the make-up intro. I have no idea who this woman presenting the award is though. Hurrah, LA VIE EN ROSE wins. I've not seen it, but I bet on that one.
02:01 Amy Adams is performing the first of the nominated songs. She's great. I still want ONCE to win though.
02:08 Even presenting an Oscar, The Rock is totally wooden. GOLDEN COMPASS wins special effects Oscar. My money was on TRANSFORMERS, so I win nothing.
02:12 Art Direction goes to SWEENEY TODD. More money goes to my betting account. Hurrah.
02:17 Supporting actor goes to Javier Bardem. No surprise.
02:24 Jon Stewart is still very funny. We're about to get the second nominated song, from AUGUST RUSH. I didn't go and see that one, because the trailer made it look terrible. The first few bars of the song, and it sounds like the music is pretty crap too. God, it's not getting any better. Is that kid singing through her nose? Argh, this is terrible. Please, make it stop.
02:30 LE MOZART DES PICKPOCKETS wins best short film. I bet on that one too, based solely on the fact that it had an Oscar-worthy title. From the clips they just showed, I quite liked the look of THE TONTO WOMAN though.
02:32 Unbelievable. PETER AND THE WOLF wins best short animated film and I bet on that one too. Another lucky guess in a category I know nothing about. And hey, it's British.
02:35 The most open of the big awards. Best supporting actress goes to... Tilda Swinton. I didn't see that coming. Profit has just taken a serious dent. Wow, she just made a reference to BATMAN AND ROBIN, the worst film ever made.
To be continued...
Labels: oscars

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home