Monday, February 25, 2008

Freakpit Oscar Diary 2008 Part 3

It's now 02:42 and Winkleman has just suggested that the BAFTAs have a sway over the Oscars. I think not. On with the show.

02:44 Jessica Alba is doing a summary of the boring Oscars, i.e. the technical achievements that get an evening of their own. I love that the Oscars for techy geeks are always presented by a stunning Hollywood starlet.

02:48 Best adapted screenplay goes to... the Coen brothers. Not much of a surprise there. I still lose money though.

02:54 The next nominated song. Another one from ENCHANTED. They seem to have put a lot more effort into the presentation of this one than the previous one though. It's not Amy Adams though.

02:59 Oh Winkleman, shut up. And stop flopping your head about like that. It's like it's going to fall off. Actually, can you keep doing it, just in case.

03:03 Sound editing goes to THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, and my betting is beginning to go pear-shaped. Sound mixing goes the same way, and I continue leaking money. What's the difference between these categories anyway? I've no idea. Just like my betting.

03:11 Best Actress. If this doesn't go to Julie Christie, I'll... BOLLOCKS! Marion Cotillard robs Julie Christie again. Not only has my favourite actress been robbed, so have I. This result pretty much guarantees I'll not be making a profit at the Oscars this year. Just like it did at the BAFTAs. There's a lesson in there for you all. Or for me at least.

03:19 Here come Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Yes. This. Best film of last year. Their live performance seems a bit nervy to be honest to be honest but it's still a great song and had better win. If this loses in the same ceremony as Julie Christie has I might put out a contract on every member of the academy. And their families.

03:23 Jack Nicholson appears to be looking more and more evil witheach passing year.

03:27 They just did a nice montage of all 79 previous winners of the Best Film. The pathetic part? I've seen precisely 13 of them. 13 out of 79. Is it any wonder I keep losing money here?

03:29 Best Film Editing goes to THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM. I really am not doing very well.

03:31 Nicole Kidman looks like a Christmas tree that has just been decorated by an excited child. Honorary Oscar goes to Robert Boyle. Deserved.

03:43 Best foreign film is... THE COUNTERFEITERS. Fair enough, it's a good film, and it wins me a little money back.

03:45 It's the final nominated song, from ENCHANTED, and it's the sort of boring, soulless dirge that make everyone hate this part of the show. Are songs in films really so bad that we have to keep nominating dross like this every bloody year?

03:46 This is how bad it is watching the Oscars live in the UK - I've just heard the milk being delivered. The good news is that it looks like I might make it through the whole show on just one cup of coffee. It probably helps that I drank loads of it during my last day at the Glasgow Film Festival today. Ah good, that awful song is finished.

03:49 John Travolta becomes the latest person to slip in front of the podium (following Colin Farrell before the song from ONCE) - why has nobody wiped done something?

03:50 YES! YES! YES! ONCE wins best song. The audience seem to like it almost as much as I do. It's a great moment for Hansard and Irglova, and for the film too. Everyone seems genuinely pleased. I come up with some nonsense about Travolta slipping being an omen, just because Farrell did when he introduced the same song earlier.

03:56 Robin Ince (the comedian on the UK coverage) has just had a great rant about the quality of the award intros. He's funny, and he's right.

03:57 Marketa Irglova has just been invited back on since she got cut off earlier. It's great, but it's also quite ironic given what Robin Ince has just ranted about.
03:59 Okay, I'm going to say it. I just don't think Cameron Diaz is quite as beautiful as everyone keeps saying she is. There, I've said it. Anyway, she presents the cinematography award to... THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Fair enough, it was lovely. It's a bit hard on Roger Deakins though, who misses out despite being nominated twice. I'd like to have seen him win for JESSE JAMES but what can you do.

04:05 The in memoriam slot is touching as always, but sadly Bob Clark's didn't feature BLACK CHRISTMAS (yeah, so it's just me) and I think Freddie Francis could have been credited as both cinematographer and director rather than just the former.

04:07 I've only just realised that I had money on THERE WILL BE BLOOD for cinematography. Hurrah!

04:10 Amy Adams again. Even better, she's presenting the score award to ANTONEMENT, which I had in my betting. Hurrah.

04:12 The best documentary short is being presented via satellite by some troops in Iraq. Quite ironic given how many documentary films are being made these days against the war.

04:18 Best documentary goes to TAXI TO THE DARK SIDE. Never seen it. I lose another bunch of money.

To be concluded...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home