Wednesday, June 18, 2008

EIFF2008: The Surprise Movie

Just in case you've not already heard, the surprise movie this year was comedy THE ROCKER, a tale of a washed-up almost-was rock star who sees his nephew's band as the opportunity to recapture his lost rock glory.

Directed by Peter Cattaneo (THE FULL MONTY) and starring, well, nobody in particular (Christina Applegate and Jane Lynch being the only two people I'd heard of in the cast), the film has some funny slapstick and the odd clever joke but for the most part did not leave me in stitches. The star of the show, Rainn Wilson, is not someone I'm familiar with but the majority of his comedy mugging left me thinking only that they obviously couldn't afford Jack Black.

I'm sure this will do okay at the box office and find a home with its intended audience (teenages mainly) but alas its intended audience probably isn't me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home