Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Another Oscar update

I don't know if you check out the Internet Movie Database regularly, but they have a section on the site devoted to the run-up to the Oscars where they also happen to list who has won the major critical awards so far. I've just been having another look at it just now and so far it seems that in the big categories, the story is as follows.

In the best film category, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is trouncing everyone and looks sure to be the winner. It's yet to open here in the UK but will do shortly and I'll be sure to post my thoughts. In the meantime, it looks certain that this will be a winner. However, let's not forget that CRASH came out of nowhere in recent years to beat the apparent favourites, so an upset may yet happen. The best indication, just as it was when CRASH won, is the Screen Actors Guild awards. They've announced their nominations (click here to visit them) so check that out, and keep a close eye on whichever film wins the award for the best cast. If NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN wins there, that's pretty much the Oscar outcome set in stone; if it doesn't, then an upset could well be on the cards.

The Coen brothers also look set to win the directing Oscar. I don't know if it's ever been won by more than one person (the last time two co-directors were even nominated was when Warren Beatty and Buck Henry got a nod for HEAVEN CAN WAIT) but it seems as likely as ever. There isn't even the albatross of Martin Scorsese not having an award anymore, so it seems like the Coens are definitely the likely winners. Certainly they've been trashing everyone in that category at all the other awards so I'm expecting a double win for the film on the big two awards.

Julie Christie still seems to be the out and out favourite for the best actress category but there is some opposition (based on awards to date) from Ellen Page (for JUNO) and Marion Cotillard (for LA VIE EN ROSE). Of these two, Page seems the most likely to provide any competition, but I'm still banking on (and hoping for) a win for Christie.

In the actor category, it is now looking more and more certain that Daniel Day-Lewis will pick up an award for his performance in THERE WILL BE BLOOD (another one that has not opened here yet) but of all the other candidates, George Clooney will at least run him close. I managed to miss MICHAEL CLAYTON when it came out, but I hope to catch it over the next couple of days and will of course post here when I have.

On a personal note, I'd like to add to my comments on the Oscar-likely films so far.

I caught SILENT LIGHT, Mexico's contender for a nomination in the foreign language category. It might get one, but it certainly won't win. At least I don't think so anyway; it just doesn't seem to me to be "mainstream" enough. Carlos Reygadas obviously has an artist's eye, giving rise to a breathtaking opening shot of a sunrise captured in time lapse photography. Unfortunately, while he is excellent at composing imagery, he treats the characters in the same way. That means lots of shots that linger on people's faces for interminable lengths of time and huge spaces between people actually saying anything. It's all very arty, but totally unrealistic and thus takes me right out of the movie every time there is a scene involving dialogue. It really, really annoyed me. I still want KINGS to win.

AMERICAN GANGSTER may possibly achieve another nomination for Denzel Washington in the acting category, although the underwritten role for Russell Crowe means his co-star can forget it. It's a very good film but nothing that hasn't been seen before; nevertheless, it's nominated in the all-important cast category of the SAG nominations so if it wins, it could be in with a shout at a surprise Best Picture nod (but the same goes for all the nominees in that SAG category, with INTO THE WILD being another dark horse).

I also caught Walt Disney's ENCHANTED. Not my usual kind of film, but after some good reviews and the fact that I like Amy Adams, I went to see it. I genuinely think this is a possibility for Adams in the Best Actress category. She is once again a joy to watch and while it's not the sort of role you'd usually see rewarded, let's not forget that Frances McDormand won an Oscar for FARGO in what was essentially a comedy role. Even if nominated, I couldn't see Adams beating Christie, but it would be nice to see her up there anyway.

In truth, it's more likely to win in the original song category. It's Disney after all, and it's what they do. Of the songs on the shortlist, "So Close" is the usual boring romantic dirge that could well be nominated if for no other reason than boring songs frequently get nominated. "That's How You Know" is a better candidate since it's typical Oscar-bating stuff but a little happier. Most deserving of the three though is "Happy Working Song" for the way it takes a typical Disney-style number but gives it a modern twist. (A fairy tale princess singing about cleaning the toilet? It works!)

I'd still prefer ONCE to win in that category though - apart from personal bias (although I admit ENCHANTED is excellent) it's just got better music.

Final note: I will try to keep posting regularly but the Freakpit is undergoing a bit of an upheaval at the moment so it might not be too regularly. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home