Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Another Oscar quickie...

Sorry, still hectic here at the Freakpit (or rather between Freakpits at the moment, hence the sporadic presence).

Just time to add a few more opinions on some Oscar stuff. I'd intended to actually get this out before the nominations were announced but, as you can see, I failed, so some of these films might still be favourites and some of them might have dropped out the running altogether. That's what I get for being so late I suppose.

First of all, CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR. I didn't like it. It's part comedy, part political movie and that's where it goes wrong straight away. On the one hand the movie wants to hammer home political points and emphasise how bad things were in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion; on the other hand it tries to be really funny in the next scene. And so it keeps jumping back and forth, unable to stick to either and ruining the tone of the movie. Also, Tom Hanks is pretty much Tom Hanks while Julia Roberts continues to annoy me with her very presence in a movie.

On the plus side, Philip Seymour Hoffman is brilliant and very funny, while Amy Adams has very little to do but still remains as effortlessly watchable as ever.

INTO THE WILD hasn't achieved nearly as many nominations as expected, which is disappointing. Sean Penn's directorial effort is a little too flashy in places (he really does use every trick he can think of) but full of heart and totally captivating. Its lack of success here means it's unlikely to be re-released again, so when it comes out on DVD do check it out.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN has been heralded as a triumphant return for the Coen brothers and is one of the favourites for the big awards. Personally I thought it was very good but that's all - I don't class it among the best of the year. Then again, I can't really think of anything to complain about so maybe I'm being too hard. It'll certainly pick up a few awards anyway. Worth checking out.

Some other random observations to close with:

As I expected, KINGS has not made the foreign film list but THE COUNTERFEITERS has, the only one I've seen so far. Surprising omission is 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS, which is nowhere to be seen. I'm going to see that one tomorrow night anyway.

As predicted in one of my previous Oscars 2008 posts, ONCE has managed a solitary nomination in the song category, and as predicted it's Falling Slowly. Hurrah!

Sadly the second best film of 2007 (PLEASE VOTE FOR ME) - and yes, I will publish a list of my favourite films of the year some time before the end of 2008 - did not make the cut in the documentary category. However, SICKO (very good) did, and my prediction that WAR/DANCE would be there came true as well. I'd be happy with either of them winning, but WAR/DANCE is the one I'd like.

Didn't mention anything about the Golden Globes, but let me just say that my annual awards season betting frenzy started off with that ceremony (or lack of it) netting me a profit of a whacking great, er, £2.79. Hey, a profit's still a profit. Roll on the next awards event!

I'll be back at some point, probably over the weekend, to treat you to my ill-informed predictions for all categories. Bye for now!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home