Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oscars 2008: Stupid Predictions (visual effects)

As promised, my stupid prediction on who'll win the Oscar for visual effects.

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM? I've not seen it, but heard nothing but good things about it. One thing that strikes me is that most of the visual effects aren't so much effects as stunts performed for real, the old fashioned way, with only a little CG augmentation here and there. That's the way it should be, and it would be nice to think they'd get honoured for that, particularly since it's been a very well received film that will not likely win any other category. I don't see it happening though.

EVAN ALMIGHTY? Not seen that either, but nothing groundbreaking by all accounts.

THE GOLDEN COMPASS? Not seen that either (I told you these predictions were stupid) but it's the kind of big Hollywood nonsense that usually scoops awards in this kind of category. Dare the Academy risk the wrath of religious extremists though?

I AM LEGEND? The ruins of New York were brilliantly realised, but I put that down to great set design and the fact that they managed to shut off several blocks of NYC. A great achievement, but not necessarily worthy of a visual effects Oscar, and especially not when you consider that some of the CGI was a bit crappy. The animals for one thing, but even more so the dreadfully ill-conceived "dark seekers", who set the movie monster back at least ten years.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN? Not seen it. Don't want to see it. Don't want to see it win, either.

300? Everything about this film is visual and as an achievement in visual effects, it's staggering. However, the idea of digital sets is nothing new and it can't change the fact that the look was done by SIN CITY first.

TRANSFORMERS? Didn't see it and, since it's Michael Bay, I didn't really want to as his films are not really my cup of tea, or my cup of any kind of hot drink to be honest. I'll give him this though, the robots themselves did look pretty impressive in the trailers. Well, some of them at least.

Should win? 300.

Will win? TRANSFORMERS.

Back soon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home