Sunday, February 24, 2008

Final pre-Oscar post....

I still need to finish writing up the rest of the films I saw in Dublin and Glasgow but I guess that will have to wait because it's Oscar time.

Before I disappear and drink lots of coffee, I'd better quickly dish out some predictions. No time for writing opinions I'm afraid, but before I make the predictions I will just say these three things:

1) THERE WILL BE BLOOD is brilliant. Numerous nominations, but the dead-cert is Daniel Day-Lewis for Best Actor, which he deserves - he's brilliant in a brilliant film. The best actor today, at the top of his game.

2) LARS AND THE REAL GIRL - I'll talk more about this in my festival write-ups, but it's another great film and fully deserves its nomination for original screenplay. Don't know that it'll beat JUNO though.

3) Awards gambling: I lost 25p on the Razzies. Yes, that's right, 25p. I'm still in profit (£14.88) though. Will the Oscars boost that or bankrupt me? Find out soon!

Anyway, the predictions. Note that this is what I predict, not necessarily what I want.

Actor will be Day-Lewis, actress will be Julie Christie. Supporting wins will go to Bardem and oooh, I don't know, Cate Blanchett. That last one's really hard to predict.

Best film and best direction will both go the Coen Brothers, but the adapted screenplay will go to ATONEMENT. Original screenplay will belong to JUNO.

Animated movie will be RATATOUILLE, documentary will be NO END IN SIGHT. Even though I've not even seen it and don't really know anything about it. In fact I don't even know what made me pick this one. Similarly for foreign language, I'll go with KATYN, which I've not yet seen.

Best song had better go to ONCE, but will probably end up with ENCHANTED.

Beyond that, I can't be bothered writing anymore, and I've not even spellchecked any of the above so apologies if it's all pish. I'm off for my first strong coffee. I've got bets in every category though so if I do really badly (predictions above aren't necessarily what I've bet) I'm sure you'll hear all about it.

As with last year, I'll be sure to post an Oscar diary. But for now, bye.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home