Sunday, February 10, 2008

JUNO and my gambling habit

Still struggling to find time, so here's another very brief award season update.

I saw JUNO. I'm trying really hard not to use the now-cliched "this year's LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE" but it's really difficult. You know the story by now - small indie film, quite funny, quirky characters who behave in odd ways and talk to each other in nutty non-sequitors, while the soundtrack is peppered with equally quirky indie music. I don't know if that genre's got a name yet, but it still seems to be going strong.

Not that I'm trying to take anything away from the movie. It's very enjoyable and very funny. The cast are all terrific, whether it be Jennifer Garner in the film's only real serious role or Ellen Page as the titular character (a geeky teenage girl who accidentally becomes pregnant). Page has been garnering plenty of nominations and awards for her performance and is still a serious contender come Oscar night.

Regardless of whether it wins or not (and original screenplay still seems the most likely category if any) I do recommend you seek this one out.

That's the only other award contender I've seen since the last update, but there are still a couple more on the horizon so check back soon.

In the meantime, I'll keep you updated on my ill-advised movie awards season gambling habit. The BAFTAs have taken place and there have been a multitude of upsets. I backed ATONEMENT to win best film (well come on, what does the B in BAFTA stand for?) and managed to back a couple of surprises in the Rising Star (Shia LeBoeuf) and British Film (THIS IS ENGLAND) categories but other than these and a few minor wins, I did hopelessly, landing myself with a loss of £4.51. Those of you keeping track will know that currently puts me at a total loss of £1.72. Roll on the next awards ceremony!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home